KATHERINE JUNE VALLEAU
CANDIDATE FOR DISTRICT 91 SCHOOL BOARD
[Katherine June Valleau has not submitted answers to the Activist Toolkit questionnaire.]
• • • • •
1. What motivates you to seek this office? What skills, experiences, and perspectives would you bring to the School Board, and why would those contributions be valuable to District 91?
2. What are District 91’s greatest strengths? What are its greatest challenges? What is your vision for District 91?
3. What does transparency in government mean to you? Give one example of an action you would take as Board Member reflecting your views on this topic. How would you evaluate the District’s record on transparency?
4. What steps will you take to enhance community engagement with the District and the School Board? What is your view on how local elected officials should communicate with and respond to constituents?
5. In what ways have you sought to better know and understand the experiences, concerns and needs of residents outside your demographic group?
6. If you could create a brand new public elementary school district from scratch, what would it look like?
7. Low test scores, particularly in math, continue to be troubling signs for the District, and enrollment has been declining. What specific steps would you take as a Board Member to improve test scores?
8. How should the District assess its policies and progress with respect to special needs and the achievement gap? As a Board Member, what metrics will you use to determine whether the District is succeeding?
9. Early this year the School Board approved a new Equity Imperative designed to remove barriers to opportunity so that children can reach their full potential. Do you believe these new policies will be successful? Why or why not? What further policies are needed?
10. What have been your most useful sources of information about pre-secondary education? Have you found any research to be particularly informative?
11. How will you balance the community's desire to decrease the property tax burden with District stakeholders’ desire to to have a school district that effectively serves all students?
12. In what ways can District 91 collaborate with District 209 to more adequately prepare students for the transition to high school?
13. Please list the three largest donors to your campaign by dollar amount contributed.
Forest Park Review endorsement (Forest Park Review 3/19/19)
Survey Responses: Katherine Valleau (Forest Park Review 3/1/19)
Former D91 teacher, union president runs for D91 board (Forest Park Review 1/1/19)
• • • • •
D91 board wannabes talk district highlights, shortfalls (Forest Park Review 3/12/19)
D91 challengers file for school board election (Forest Park Review 12/18/18)